Saturday, November 7, 2009

birthday celebration

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

As I celebrated my thirty-something birthday with friends old and new, I was glowing. Experiencing a new restaurant in my favorite city, we enjoyed the food and the waiter's recommendation for a free bottle of wine, appropriately named: 'Sienna!'

We talked more to our waiter, he was full of excitment because he was leaving soon for a trip that he has always dreamed of, to live in a castle in Scotland. He said the name is "Dalkeith Castle" -- the same castle that I lived in for a semester in college!

My friends and I could not believe the coincidences. Later in the evening we had drinks on a rooftop bar, loving the unseasonably warm weather. We asked the group next to us to take our picture and I realized that one of them was the 'little girl' that I babysat almost 20 years ago!

What a fun evening of nostalgia, new memories, and a feeling of thanksgiving...exactly what birthdays should be, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment