Wednesday, June 3, 2009

sculpture fun


I finally found a spot for my favorite metal sculpture! The metal toothbrush that I made in college sits prominately on a shelf in my 1/2 bath. The obscure assignment was to create an object from an unexpected material. I put my wood-working and art metal skills to the test by making a toothbrush mold out of wood, setting nails in the bottom for bristles, pouring metal into it, and filing it down. A little odd maybe.

Even more interesting was the assignment to show a found object in an unusual texture. My green astro-turf sink was a great compliment to a classmate's fur toilet. Unfortunately I didn't capture a photo of this! As soon as the presentations were over I pitched it in the dumpster. I did manage to keep a few of my sculptures around. Instead of "form follows function," I turned my forms into functional items!

This linear, non-figurative form is now a coat rack:
and the organic+geometric combo piece is now a book end!

No comments:

Post a Comment